March 29, 2021
With afterschool activities in full swing, Texas parents want easy meals that heat up quickly and provide plenty of leftovers. These smothered beef burritos fit that description perfectly and are ready to serve in under an hour.
If you’re looking for delicious comfort food that the whole family will love, look no further. Loaded to the max with Premium Quality Texas Ground Beef, onions, refried beans, Spanish rice, and cheese, this Mexican classic is sure to satisfy.
Ingredients for Smothered Beef Burritos
For a meal this delicious, the ingredient list is surprisingly simple. Just remember that two items require some additional preparation: the Spanish rice and the meat.
For the Spanish rice, use your favorite brand. Zatarain’s is excellent. Just make sure that it will yield enough for 1 1/2 cups once cooked.
For the meat, we always use Premium Quality Texas Ground Beef. It’s grass-fed, grain-finished, and always hormone and steroid-free. If you haven’t tried it, it’s time to Eat Better Beef.
- 2 lbs Premium Quality Texas Ground Beef
- Taco seasoning (follow the directions on the package for 2 lbs of meat)
- 4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (2 cups filling and 2 cups topping)
- 2 cup refried beans (16oz can)
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked Spanish rice (your favorite brand)
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce (10oz can)
- 1/2 cup diced onion (optional)
- 8 burrito sized flour tortillas (10 in)
Steps to Make Your Burritos
It takes just a few easy steps to make these smothered beef burritos. And if you’re busy, most of them can be done ahead of time.
For example, you could already have the rice and beef cooked, so you just need to wrap and bake the burritos before dinner. Or you could have the burritos wrapped and ready to bake. Then you’d just need to pour over the enchilada sauce, sprinkle the cheese, and throw the pan in the oven. Easy breezy!
- Start your rice by following the instructions on the package. While the rice is cooking, we’ll cook our beef. When the rice is done, set it aside to cool.
- To a large skillet, add your Premium Quality Texas Ground Beef and the optional diced onion. Cook over medium-high heat for about five minutes or until beef is cooked through. Remember to stir and crumble intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- Add the taco seasoning and a splash of water. Stir to combine and set skillet aside to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line a large baking pan with nonstick foil.
- Stuff the burritos. Lay out the tortillas and evenly distribute the fillings between them. Remember to set aside 2 cups of the cheese to use for the topping. Note: This is a great time to get the kids involved. They’ll love getting their hands dirty and making their own burritos.
- Roll up each burrito and place in the prepared baking pan, seam side down—Bake for about 25 minutes. If you pre-prepared your smothered beef burritos, then cover and bake them 60 minutes if frozen or 40 minutes if thawed.
- Remove the pan from the oven and uncover. Slowly and evenly pour the enchilada sauce over all the burritos. Then sprinkle the remaining 2 cups of cheese over the top.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for 10 to 15 more minutes. The burritos are done when the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling.
While dinner is in the oven, you can prepare some garnishes. Some of our family favorites are chopped cilantro, sliced onion, avocado, lime wedges, salsa, and crumbled cotija cheese.
Check us out! We offer grass-fed, grain-finished, sustainably raised bulk beef and Premium Quality custom beef boxes. Each one is chock-full of all your favorite cuts. We also have tons of Texas Beef Company merchandise. Show the world that you Eat Better Beef!