April 3, 2021
The sun is out, the birds are singing, and in Texas, the barbeques are heating up! Now’s the perfect time to ask yourself, is this the summer that you grill the ultimate burger? Or will this be another dry and flavorless year?
If you’re new to the grilling game or just looking for a few pointers, we’ve got you covered. Below are some often overlooked burger grilling tips and a bonus recipe for an easy hamburger spice rub.
Eat Better Beef
The first and most important thing to consider when you want to grill the ultimate burger is the beef. Just think about it. There isn’t much to a traditional hamburger. There are just two ingredients: the bun and the patty. From there, everything else is an add-on. This is why choosing the right meat is so important.
When shopping for hamburgers, remember, not all beef is built the same. Chuck is the most popular cut for making ground beef. This is because it has a good fat content and a delicious beefy flavor.
Why is fat content important? Remember those dry burgers? The key to a juicy, melt-in-your-mouth patty is the fat. This is because when the burger cooks, the fat within it melts. This helps to keep the beef moist. So next time you’re grilling hamburgers, try using an 80/20 ground beef. That’s eighty percent meat and twenty percent fat.
For extra beefy flavor, we recommend using Premium Quality Texas Ground Beef. It’s grass-fed, grain-finished, and always hormone and steroid-free.
Seasoning Burgers for Flavor
A juicy, beefy burger is excellent, but it can still be pretty bland without the proper seasoning. To liven things up, you still need salt, pepper, and spices!
Here on the ranch, we have a basic burger seasoning that you’ll love. Its made with a blend of chili, garlic, onion, and a little cayenne for a kick.
In a large bowl, mix:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
To use, add 1 tablespoon of the spice mix per pound of ground beef. Mix to incorporate and then form the patties. Or, if you’ve bought pre-formed burgers, sprinkle the mixture evenly over each patty at least an hour before cooking.
Burger Grilling Pro Tips
You have Better Beef. You have a delicious spice mix. Now here are a few tips to take your burgers to the next level.
- KEEP IT COOL – After forming your patties, return them to the fridge to chill. Refrigerating helps to keep the meat together while grilling.
- STOP PRESSING – stop pushing your burgers down when grilling! For some reason, everyone loves to smash their burgers down with their spatula. Don’t do this. All you’re doing is squeezing out the flavorful juices that keep the burger moist.
- FLIP ONCE – Flip your burgers one time and only one time. Not only does this help to keep the juices in the burger, but it also reduces the risk of the patty breaking apart. Don’t get too fancy, chef.
Check us out! We offer grass-fed, grain-finished, sustainably raised bulk beef and Premium Quality custom beef boxes. Each one is chock-full of all your favorite cuts. We also have tons of Texas Beef Company merchandise. Show the world that you Eat Better Beef!