September 25, 2022
It’s officially autumn in Texas, and that means it’s time for comfort food. Every family has their favorite roasted, braised, or stewed meal. Here on the ranch, ours is this hearty and healthy beef stew recipe.
Packed with root vegetables, braised greens, and juicy chunks of Premium Quality Texas Beef, a big bowl of our stew is the perfect dinner for a chilly night. It’s also a great recipe to prepare with your kids. Have them wash and peel the veggies while you brown the meat.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Ingredients for Hearty and Healthy Beef Stew
These ingredients for our hearty and healthy beef stew create a delicious finished product but feel free to make substitutions. Don’t like turnips? Use your family’s favorite veggies instead.
The most important thing to remember, the flavor in this dish comes from the meat. That’s why we recommend using our very own Premium Quality Texas Cubed Sirloin. It’s grass-fed, grain-finished, and always hormone and steroid-free. Offered in convenient one-pound packs, just pull it out, and you’re ready to go!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 lb Premium Quality Texas Cubed Sirloin
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch rounds
- 4 stalks, celery
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium turnip, chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, chopped
- 1/2 bunch kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Feel free to double, triple, or quadruple this hearty and healthy stew recipe. It freezes well and has been a lifesaver during some of our busier weeks.
Steps to Make Hearty and Healthy Beef Stew
Again, our hearty and healthy beef stew recipe is easy to prepare with the whole family. So grab the ingredients, corral the kids, and remember to have fun. Here are the steps:
- Preheat a large pot over medium heat.
- Liberally season your Premium Quality Texas Cubed Sirloin with salt and pepper, then coat well in the flour.
- Add the meat to the pot and brown it on all sides. You want a good, even sear, but don’t be careful not to burn the flour. Take your time and don’t overcrowd.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and add the vinegar and wine to the seared meat. As the liquid heats up, scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. This will loosen all the browned bits that may be stuck there.
- Next, add the beef broth and bay leaves. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for about 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Lastly, add all the veggies and cook for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Use a slurry of cornstarch and water if you’d like to thicken your stew. Start by adding a small amount. A little goes a long way. Don’t overdo it.
Check us out! We offer grass-fed, grain-finished, sustainably raised bulk beef and Premium Quality custom beef boxes. Each one is chock-full of all your favorite cuts. We also have tons of Texas Beef Company merchandise. Show the world that you Eat Better Beef!