All across New Mexico, you’ll find Pork Green Chili, a spicy stew of roasted chilis and tender pork. We love the dish, but being from Texas, we always felt it would taste better if made with beef. So we recently developed our Beef Green Chili recipe, and guess what? We were right.
If you’ve never tried it before, Pork Green Chili is similar to Texas Chili but with a few minor differences. First, it’s traditionally made with pork. Second, it has the consistency of a hearty stew. And third, it’s green from adding fresh peppers and tomatillos.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours
Yield: 8 servings
Ingredients for Beef Green Chili
We discovered Pork Green Chili years ago in a tiny town near the Texas border. We stopped for lunch, saw it on the menu, and decided to try it. We absolutely loved the stew, but when we asked if we could get the recipe, we were told there wasn’t one.
The restaurant owner’s family had been making Pork Green Chili for generations, and they just “knew” how to make it. Lucky for us, they gave us a rough estimate of what went in the pot, and as soon as we got back to the ranch, we started experimenting.
After trying different cuts, we decided to use our Premium Quality Texas Beef Chuck Roast. It’s the perfect size for a family, and the price per pound won’t break the bank. On top of that, our beef is grass-fed, grain-finished, and always hormone and steroid-free. Eat Better Beef!
In addition to being healthier than pork, we found that using Premium Quality Texas Beef in our Beef Green Chili recipe really improves the dish’s flavor. We’re excited to see what you think too!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 lbs Premium Quality Texas Beef Chuck Roast, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Hatch or Anaheim peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 or 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1 lb tomatillos, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 4 cups beef stock
- 3 tbsp masa (corn flour) or all-purpose flour
- 1 15oz can white hominy, drained
- All your favorite chili toppings
Steps to Make Beef Green Chili
Once you’ve gathered all the ingredients, the steps are simple. In fact, the most challenging part of making this delicious meal is waiting for the stew to simmer!
- Preheat a large pot on your stove over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 tbsp of cooking oil and brown your Premium Quality Texas Beef Chuck Roast. Make sure to stir regularly and sear all sides of the meat.
- Remove the beef from the pot and set it aside. Pour off most of the oil and rendered fat from the pot.
- Return the pot to the stove and add the chopped onion, cumin, and coriander. Sauté for a few minutes until the onion is soft. Stir frequently to make sure that the spices don’t burn.
- While this simmers, coat the browned beef in the masa.
- Next, add the minced garlic, tomatillos, and peppers to the pot. Continue cooking for a few more minutes until the garlic starts to caramelize and the skin on the peppers and tomatillos blisters.
- Add the meat back to the pot and stir to combine.
- Add the stock, bring it to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook on low for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- You’ll know your Beef Green Chili is done when the meat is fork-tender and shreds easily.
- Lastly, add the drained white hominy, chopped cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
Ladle into bowls and serve with your favorite traditional chili toppings.
Check us out! We offer grass-fed, grain-finished, sustainably raised bulk beef and Premium Quality custom beef boxes. Each one is chock-full of all your favorite cuts. We also have tons of Texas Beef Company merchandise. Show the world that you Eat Better Beef!