August 22, 2021
Summer isn’t just sunny days and blue skies; it’s also the perfect season for family picnics! Honestly, there’s nothing better than a walk in the country with the kids and a basket full of delicious goodies. Set down a blanket under a tree and voilà; you’re making memories.
To get you motivated and help you enjoy every minute of these glorious summer days, we’re sharing our best picnic recipes. So this weekend, ditch the dining room and enjoy a family meal outside.
Texas Beef Macaroni Salad
Macaroni salad is an easy dish for meals on the go. And with the addition of Premium Quality Texas Beef, you’ve got a delicious, fuss-free recipe perfect for the picnic basket. Besides, it doesn’t get much easier than this recipe; there are only two steps. We’ll admit, there’s some prep work involved, but all you need to do is chop a little left-over brisket and a few vegetables.
When it comes time to assemble the salad, simply boil some pasta, stir all the ingredients together, then cover and chill for at least two hours. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 cups of uncooked macaroni
- 1 cup fully cooked and crumbled Premium Quality Texas Beef
- 1 diced cucumber
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
Seriously, it’s just two steps:
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water until cool.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Add salt. Cover and chill for at least two hours.
Better Beef Mini Muffulettas
Next on our list of best picnic recipes, is our take on Muffulettas, the New Orleans classic. But instead of cold cuts, we use thin slices of left-over Premium Quality Texas Beef Brisket. If you’ve never tried the original, we think you’ll be surprised by just how delicious these beefy little sandwiches are. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 12 dinner rolls, cut in half
- 1 (16-oz.) jar Italian Giardiniera (mixed pickled vegetables)
- 3/4 cup green olives (without pits)
- 2 tablespoons Italian salad dressing
- 6 Swiss cheese slices, cut in half
- 6 cheddar cheese slices, cut in half
- 12 pieces of thinly sliced smoked Texas Beef brisket
Putting these together is as easy as… Well, it’s as easy as making a sandwich!
- In a food processor, pulse the Giardiniera, green olives, and Italian dressing until finely chopped.
- Spread a heaping tablespoon of the vegetable mixture into each roll.
- Add a slice of brisket and each of the cheeses.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
Kids Favorite Peach Turnovers
No picnic is complete without something sweet and these little peach hand pies are fun to make and easy to transport. But be careful; they’re also impossible to resist. So roll out some extras, or there might not be any left when you go to pack your basket. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 large peaches, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 boxes of refrigerated piecrusts (4 piecrusts total)
- 1 large egg
Once you’ve gathered everything together, round up the kids and start having some fun.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir together the peaches, sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, and kosher salt in a bowl until combined.
- Unroll the piecrusts on a lightly floured surface. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out dough circles and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the peach mixture into the center of HALF of the rounds you cut out. Make sure to leave a 1/4 inch border around the filling.
- Whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Brush some of the mixture over the edges of the filled dough rounds.
- Top filled dough rounds with remaining, unfilled rounds. Crimp together the top and bottom edges using a fork, sealing each pie. Then use the fork to prick a few holes in the top of each pie.
- Brush the pie tops with the remaining egg mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the pies are golden brown.
Check us out! We offer grass-fed, grain-finished, sustainably raised bulk beef and Premium Quality custom beef boxes. Each one is chock-full of all your favorite cuts. We also have tons of Texas Beef Company merchandise. Show the world that you Eat Better Beef!