September 12, 2021
Football is back, and Texas tailgating season is in full swing! The drinks are cold, the grills are hot, and your family is hungry. It’s definitely time to polish up on your burger skills. But don’t worry, we’re here to help.
Our classic recipe will help you create the best tailgate burgers in Texas. It uses thick and flavorful patties made from Premium Quality Texas Beef. They’re easy to prep, easy to cook, and they’ll be a hit with all your hungry football fans.
Make the Best Hamburger Patties
The first and most important thing to consider when making the best tailgate burger is the beef. When you buy meat, remember that not all ground beef is the same. Double-check what you are getting. Ground chuck is by far the most popular cut to use in the grind. This is because it has great fat content and a delicious beefy flavor.
Fat content is important because when the burger cooks, the fat within it melts. This helps to keep the beef moist. The ground beef we recommend is Premium Quality Texas Ground Beef from our very own Texas Beef Company. It’s grass-fed, grain-finished, and always hormone and steroid-free.
Once you’ve picked the right meat, the next step to making incredibly juicy burger patties is the addition of crushed crackers. Sound weird? Try it! It works because the starch in the crackers keeps the natural fat and juices where they belong, in the patty.
Here’s what you’ll need to make six 1/3 pound patties:
- 2 lbs of Premium Quality Texas Ground Beef
- 8 Finely Crushed Ritz crackers
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp Kosher salt
Burger Patties that won’t Fall Apart
Once you’ve gathered all the ingredients, it takes just a few minutes to make these perfect patties.
- First, set out a large mixing bowl and add in all the ingredients.
- Use your hands to combine everything until the mixture is smooth.
- Separate the mixture into six equal parts.
- Set out a baking sheet lined with wax paper or foil. One at a time, work the patties into your desired size. Remember, it’s best to make them a little bigger than the buns since they’ll shrink a bit when cooking.
- Finally, use your thumb to press a slight dent in the center of each patty. This will keep them from puffing up or bowing on the grill.
Cover the finished patties with plastic wrap or pack them into a bag to transport them to the tailgate. It is best to cook the patties the same day, but they will keep for a bit in the fridge if needed.
Best Burger Mix-Ins
If you’re looking for some added flavor and feel like getting fancy, try incorporating some of the following ingredients into your raw hamburger mix:
- Crushed red pepper
- Ancho chili powder
- Thinly sliced jalapeno peppers
- Fresh herbs like chives or thyme
- Sauces like barbecue sauce or teriyaki
- Finely diced onion
- Shredded or crumbled cheeses like smoked gouda or blue
Check us out! We offer grass-fed, grain-finished, sustainably raised bulk beef and Premium Quality custom beef boxes. Each one is chock-full of all your favorite cuts. We also have tons of Texas Beef Company merchandise. Show the world that you Eat Better Beef!