March 19, 2022
Looking for a quick and easy meal that your kids will love? This Ground Beef Philly Cheese Steak is the perfect choice for carpool days, slumber party nights, or any situation when you need a family-friendly meal fast!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Type: Appetizer or Entrée
Everyone in Texas loves Philly Cheese Steaks, but let’s face it, slicing ribeye super thin is a pain. And besides, if you have a nice ribeye, you’re not chopping it into a sandwich. You’re throwing it on the grill, right?! That’s why we came up with our new favorite sandwich here on the ranch, Ground Beef Philly Cheese Steak.
Not only are they simple to make (no slicing involved), but they also taste incredible, and because they’re made with ground beef instead of those more expensive cuts, they won’t break the bank!
Ingredients for Ground Beef Philly Cheese Steak
Throwing together a Ground Beef Philly Cheese Steak is a snap because you can prepare most items ahead of time. Also, this is a great recipe to make with your kids. They’ll love cutting all the veggies and building a sandwich of their very own.
Speaking of kids, make sure you’re feeding your loved ones the right stuff. Here at Texas Beef Company, our Premium Quality Texas Ground Beef is grass-fed, grain-finished, and always hormone and steroid free. Start eating Better Beef today!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 lbs Premium Quality Texas Ground Beef
- 12 slices of Provolone Cheese
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 6 hoagie rolls/sub rolls
How to Make Ground Beef Philly Cheese Steak
Once you’ve gathered all the ingredients, grab the kids, and let the fun begin:
- Clean and dice the onion and bell pepper. Clean and slice the mushrooms. Set these aside.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and add in the butter.
- When the butter melts, add in your Premium Quality Texas Ground Beef. Break it apart with a heat-resistant spatula and spread it across the skillet in an even layer. Let the meat cook untouched for two to three minutes until a beautiful, brown crust forms.
- Use your spatula to flip the beef over and brown the other side. If the “flip” doesn’t work out, don’t worry. Just do your best to turn all the meat over and brown the other side. Make sure to spread across the pan again and cook for a further two to three minutes until it’s brown and almost crispy.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the beef from the skillet. Set it aside and leave the grease in the pan. Add in the veggies and cook on medium-high heat for about five minutes or until they start to caramelize. Stir frequently.
- Return the crispy, browned beef to the pan and add the salt, pepper, spices, and beef broth. Stir to mix thoroughly and simmer until most of the broth is absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and cover the contents of the skillet with your slices of provolone.
- Generously stuff each sub rolls with a heaping spoonful of the meat, veggie, and cheese mixture, and ENJOY!
Tips for Perfect Ground Beef Philly Cheese Steak
As advertised, this Ground Beef Philly Cheese Steak recipe is easy to make, but there are a few things you can do to ensure the best results.
- Letting the ground beef crisp up in the skillet is essential. The flavor added by all the crispy, caramelized bits makes a world of difference.
- You can use any style of bread or this recipe, but a sub or hoagie roll is traditional. We sometimes use mini hotdog rolls or slider buns when making these as an appetizer. Kids love this size too.
- Feel free to experiment with the cheese! We’ve tried American, Swiss, and pepper jack with excellent results. One time, we even poured in a jar of spicy cheese dip. Jackpot!
Check us out! We offer grass-fed, grain-finished, sustainably raised bulk beef and Premium Quality custom beef boxes. Each one is chock-full of all your favorite cuts. We also have tons of Texas Beef Company merchandise. Show the world that you Eat Better Beef!