Here in Texas, our food always has a little extra kick, and this Hearty Beef Pozole recipe is no different. Packed with smokey chilis and Premium Quality Texas Beef, it’s an excellent choice for holiday potlucks and the perfect meal for chilly weather. In fact, here on the ranch, it’s one of our favorite winter meals of all time.
This hearty beef pozole recipe feeds four people and allows for some leftovers. But if you’re feeding a crowd, it’s super easy to double or triple!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours and 20 minutes
Cuisine: MexicanYield: 4 servings plus some leftovers
Ingredients for Our Hearty Beef Pozole Recipe
All the ingredients for this hearty beef pozole recipe are easy to find, but if you have trouble locating the chilis, fear not! Your local Walmart has a section of Bolner’s Fiesta brand herbs and spices in the International Foods section. All the chilis you need will be there.
When choosing your beef, skip the store-bought stuff and go with the best. We recommend our very own Premium Quality Texas Beef. It’s ranch-raised, grass-fed, grain-finished, and always hormone and steroid-free. It’s time you Eat Better Beef!
Here’s everything you’ll need:
- 2 lbs Premium Quality Texas Beef Roast, cut into cubes
- 3 (15.5-ounce) cans of hominy, drained
- 1 quart beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 dried ancho chilies, seeds and stems removed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 (7oz) can of chipotle peppers in adobo (about 7 peppers)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Like our Wonderful White Bean and Brisket Chili, the garnishes make the meal fun! Get the kids involved in choosing what to serve, and don’t hold back. Try fresh cilantro, radish, avocado, lime wedges, shredded lettuce, or finely sliced cabbage.
Steps to Make Our Hearty Beef Pozole Recipe
There are two main steps when it comes to making every pozole recipe. First, soak the chilis to create the chile sauce for the broth, then cook the beef and simmer all the ingredients until everything is nice and tender.
Here’s how to put it all together:
- Add the ancho and chipotle peppers to a medium saucepan, cover with 2 cups of water, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat, and cover for 20 minutes.
- Preheat a heavy stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the oil and brown your cubes of Premium Quality Texas Beef Roast.
- When browned on all sides, remove the meat from the pot, turn the heat down to medium, and add the onions. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the garlic and spices to the onions and cook for an additional minute stirring constantly.
- Return the browned beef to the pot and add the broth and hominy. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer.
- While the broth is simmering, transfer the chilies and soaking water to a blender. Blend on high into a smooth sauce, and add to the pot.
- Continue simmering your hearty beef pozole for 4 to 5 hours or until the beef is fork-tender.
- Ladle into bowls and top with your family’s favorite garnishes.
Check us out! We offer grass-fed, grain-finished, sustainably raised bulk beef and Premium Quality custom beef boxes. Each one is chock-full of all your favorite cuts. We also have tons of Texas Beef Company merchandise. Show the world that you Eat Better Beef!