November 28, 2020
Fall is here, and winter is on the way. The sun is setting earlier, and the nights are getting chilly. Not only are we pulling out our slippers and our sweaters, but we’re also bringing out all our favorite slow cooker comfort food recipes.
This slow cooker beef stroganoff is a straightforward dinner recipe that’s hearty and perfect for the colder weather. It’s always at the top of our list because it’s a massive hit with the family.
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
The easiest part about most slow cooker comfort food recipes is that you can just toss the ingredients in the crockpot and forget about it. You can do that here too, but if you have a few extra minutes, the added effort will pay off with a better-tasting dish.
The first step for slow cooker beef stroganoff is to brown the meat and vegetables before adding them to the cooker. This step adds tons of deep flavors, but honestly, if you’re in a big hurry you can skip the browning process and simply place your beef, mushrooms, and onions into the pot.
You can use beef stew meat or a chuck roast cut into 2-inch pieces. Here on the ranch, we always use our own Premium Quality Texas Beef. It’s grass-fed and grain-finished and oh so tasty. We love to Eat Better Beef. This well-marbled meat will turn out incredibly tender and flavorful after a simmer in the slow cooker.
Once the beef and vegetables are done, just stir in some sour cream to make the sauce. Spoon it over any starch you choose. Traditionally egg noodles are used, but mashed potatoes or polenta work great too.
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
It doesn’t take much to make delicious slow cooker beef stroganoff. You probably already have most of these ingredients on hand.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pounds Premium Quality Beef cut into 2-inch pieces
- 10 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 12 ounces egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or polenta
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Steps
Once you’ve gathered the ingredients, it just takes a few minutes to brown the meat, fill the crock and set the timer.
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. While the pan is heating, season the Premium Quality Beef with salt and pepper on all sides.
- When the pan is hot, brown the meat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until it has a nice caramel color.
- Add the meat to the slow cooker.
- Add the mushrooms and onion to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until browned.
- Add the mushrooms, onion and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups beef broth and Worcestershire sauce into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
Once the meat and vegetables are done, you will need to make the sauce.
- Whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup beef broth with the corn starch. Pour the mixture into the crockpot and stir. Cook covered on HIGH for 20 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Uncover the dish and add the sour cream and cream cheese, stirring until a smooth sauce forms—season with salt and pepper to taste.
To serve the slow cooker beef stroganoff, spoon over your chosen starch and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
This slow cooker beef stroganoff is a super easy meal that feels great to come home to. It’s one of our favorite comfort foods here on the ranch.
Check us out! We offer sustainably raised bulk beef and Premium Quality custom beef boxes. Each one is chock-full of all your favorite cuts. We also have tons of fun Texas Beef Company merchandise. It’s time you started eating Better Beef.