January 22, 2022
During a cold Texas winter, nothing warms your family up like a hearty bowl of slow cooker soup. In one of our favorite slow cooker soup recipes, we combine tons of healthy veggies, cheesy tortellini, and our very own Texas Beef Brats.
As it simmers away, this sausage tortellini soup is one of those meals that fills your whole house with delicious smells. And when you serve it to your family, you’ll agree that the flavor is incredible!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours and 20 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
What You Need for this Slow Cooker Soup Recipe
The ingredients for our Sausage and Tortellini Slow Cooker Soup recipe are easy to find. Most supermarkets will have everything you need. However, the lacinato kale might give you trouble. This deep green, flat-leaf vegetable is the Italian version of traditional kale. So if you can’t find it at your favorite store, just substitute regular kale.
Our family prefers the rich addition of three-cheese tortellini when it comes to the pasta. But feel free to experiment with your tastes. However, one thing to be mindful of is that fresh tortellini cook much faster than dried, so be careful not to overcook them.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 (about 2 lbs) Texas Beef Company Beef Brats. Made from 100% Premium Quality Texas Beef.
- 1 pound three-cheese tortellini
- 8 cups beef stock
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups chopped lacinato kale, stems removed
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp Italian herb seasoning
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
How to Prepare Our Slow Cooker Soup Recipe
Once you’ve gathered and prepared all the ingredients, putting our favorite slow cooker soup recipe together is easy. The only step that takes a bit is cooking the sausage. But you can do that ahead of time and just throw in the preprepared slices when you’re ready to make the soup.
- Preheat a pan over medium-high heat and cook the sausages for about 15 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 160 F.
- Let the sausages cool just enough so that you can handle them, then slice them into inch-thick pieces and set them aside.
- In the same pan, add the onion and celery and cook for 3 – 4 minutes until they just start to brown.
- Stir in the chopped garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn it.
- Add in the red wine and the sliced sausage and bring to a simmer, lightly scraping the bottom of the pan to release any crispy bits of flavor.
- Pour the contents of the pan into the slow cooker. Add the carrots, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and beef broth. Stir to combine and cover with the lid.
- Set the cooker to low and cook for 3 hours.
- Remove the lid and add in the tortellini and the kale. Cook for another 30 minutes or until the tortellini are al dente.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
For an added treat, serve this delicious slow cooker soup with crusty sourdough bread (our favorite) or steaming hot dinner rolls.
Check us out! We offer grass-fed, grain-finished, sustainably raised bulk beef and Premium Quality custom beef boxes. Each one is chock-full of all your favorite cuts. We also have tons of Texas Beef Company merchandise. Show the world that you Eat Better Beef!