February 5, 2022
The Super Bowl is right around the corner, so now’s the perfect time to start planning your Big Game party. Sure, you’ll need the usual decorations and everyone’s favorite drinks, but don’t settle for the same old food this year. Go for a culinary touch-down with this delicious Super Bowl snack recipe.
Spicy Chicken Fried Steak Sliders
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Cuisine: Texan American
Yield: 12 sliders
Chicken fried steak is a classic dish here in Texas, but it’s hardly ever served as an appetizer. Today we’ll change that with one of our favorite Super Bowl snack recipes: Spicy Chicken Fried Steak Sliders. With a fresh cilantro slaw and tangy Texas gravy, these bite-sized flavor bombs will have your family and friends dancing in the end zone.
There are three parts to this delicious Super Bowl snack recipe, but each one is quick and easy. You’ll start with the fresh cilantro slaw, then make the steaks and buns, and lastly, you’ll whip up an easy hatch chili gravy. Then just put it all together and yee-haw!
Step 1: Tasty Tangy Texas Slaw
Because it needs to marinate for a bit to soften the cabbage, it’s best to start this delicious Super Bowl snack recipe by making the slaw. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 8oz bag of coleslaw salad mix with a dressing included
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapenos, finely chopped (buy them already diced)
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
Once you’ve gathered the ingredients, mix everything together in a large non-reactive bowl. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate.
Step 2: The Chicken Fried Steaks and Buns
If you’ve ever made chicken fried steak, then you know how easy this next step is. Just make sure you have a nice clean work area, a heavy skillet, and some Premium Quality Texas Beef! Our grass-fed, grain-finished cutlets are a perfect choice for this delicious Super Bowl snack recipe.
Here’s everything you’ll need:
- 2 lbs of tenderized beef cutlets sliced into 12 equal pieces. Try to make these about the same size as the buns you’re using.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Cavender’s Greek seasoning
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2 cups canola oil for frying
- 12 slider-sized dinner rolls
Here are the steps:
- Using a serrated knife, cut the buns in half and wrap them in foil. Preheat your oven to 200 F. When preheated, place the buns in to warm up.
- Pour the canola oil into your skillet and preheat over medium heat.
- Generously season the twelve cutlet slices on both sides with Cavender’s and set aside.
- Place two shallow dishes side by side. In one, combine the flour, cornstarch, and smoked paprika. In the second, whisk together the egg and buttermilk.
- Working one at a time, bread the beef cutlets. Place the slices into the flour mixture and cover them evenly. Next, lift them out of the flour, move them to the egg wash, and submerge. Finally, remove them from the egg wash and place them back into the flour mixture to coat. Continue until all the slices are breaded.
- Ready a baking sheet with a wire rack or paper towels on it to drain the cutlets once they’re done frying.
- Moving to your skillet, ensure that the oil is at the right temperature by placing a pinch of flour into the oil. You want the flour to sizzle. If it just sinks to the bottom, turn up the heat. If it bubbles violently, turn down the heat.
- Using tongs, carefully lower the breaded steaks into the oil and cook until they start to brown around the edges. After about three minutes, flip them over and continue cooking until they’re a nice golden brown. Frequently adjust the heat to keep everything going at a steady sizzle.
- When done, remove each steak to the prepared baking sheet and place it in your 200 F oven to keep warm.
Step 3: Hatch Chili Gravy
The final step for this delicious Super Bowl snack recipe is to make the Hatch Chili Gravy. No need to dirty another pan. The gravy will actually taste better if you use the same skillet you cooked the chicken fried steaks in. You’ll need:
- 1½ cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp canned hatch green chiles, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
Homemade gravy is so easy to make. Just grab your favorite whisk and start stirring!
- Drain the frying pan you used for the chicken fried steak. But be sure to leave any tasty brown bits in the pan.
- Add the butter and garlic and cook over medium heat for two minutes until it starts to bubble. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Add the flour and stir to incorporate with the butter. Continue to stir the mixture for about a minute.
- Add the milk, chilies, and spice. Whisk continuously until the mixture begins to simmer. At this point, the gravy should thicken.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream.
Now just top each warmed bun with a piece of chicken fried steak, a spoon of hatch chili gravy, and some of the tangy Texas slaw. Serve immediately.
Check us out! We offer grass-fed, grain-finished, sustainably raised bulk beef and Premium Quality custom beef boxes. Each one is chock-full of all your favorite cuts. We also have tons of Texas Beef Company merchandise. Show the world that you Eat Better Beef!