June 11, 2022
Every special dad deserves an equally special Father’s Day meal. Here on our Texas ranch, that meal is this amazing bacon-wrapped meatloaf.
It doesn’t have to be fancy to be delicious, and this special Father’s Day meal really delivers on taste! The secret is that the bacon infuses into the beef as it cooks, adding tons of smoky flavor and preventing the meat from drying out. And it’s not just dad that loves this dish. It’s a hit with everyone in our family.
Tips for this Special Father’s Day Meal
Over the years, we’ve picked up a few pointers for making our special Father’s Day meal. Here’s some to get you started:
- Don’t use thick-cut bacon. It takes too long to crisp up in the oven, and it’s not easy to wrap around the loaf.
- Choose your beef wisely. We recommend using our very own Premium Quality Texas Ground Beef. It’s grass-fed, grain-finished, and always hormone and steroid-free.
- Be careful during the last 15 minutes of the baking process. If the top of your bacon-wrapped meatloaf looks too dark, cover it with foil to prevent burning.
- This dish is great for leftovers! Double the recipe to make an extra loaf and freeze it for a rainy day.
Ingredients for this Special Father’s Day Meal
The ingredients for our special Father’s Day meal are easy to find. You probably already have everything you need:
- 2 lbs Premium Quality Texas Ground Beef
- 10-12 strips of bacon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp cracked black pepper
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
Steps to Prepare this Special Father’s Day Meal
Once you’ve diced the onion, bell pepper, and garlic, call the kids to help you gather the rest of the ingredients. Pro-tip, if you have them mix everything, you won’t even get your hands dirty! They’ll also love being a part of creating the special Father’s Day meal.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a small skillet, heat a little oil over medium heat. Cook the onion, pepper, and garlic for five minutes, stirring occasionally. When soft, transfer the veggies into a large mixing bowl to cool.
- Add the broth, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, and chili powder to the same skillet. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, and allow the mixture to reduce slightly and become syrupy. After about three minutes of simmering, remove from heat and add to the mixing bowl of veggies. Set aside to cool.
- Spray a 12” x 5” or similar baking pan with nonstick spray. Lay in the strips of bacon across the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Slightly overlap the strips with the ends hanging over the edges of the pan. Do this so that once you add in the meat mixture, you can easily fold the loose ends of the bacon strips over the top of the loaf.
- Once the baking pan is prepared, and the ketchup sauce is cool to the touch, add all the remaining ingredients into the large mixing bowl with the cooled veggies. Mix well with your hands to combine evenly.
- Transfer the meatloaf mixture to the prepared pan. Smooth the surface and fold the bacon strips over to cover the top.
- Bake until a thermometer inserted into the center registers 165°, and the bacon is crispy. This should take about an hour. Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Check us out! We offer grass-fed, grain-finished, sustainably raised bulk beef and Premium Quality custom beef boxes. Each one is chock-full of all your favorite cuts. We also have tons of Texas Beef Company merchandise. Show the world that you Eat Better Beef!